Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Improving your "Artistic Average"









During the crafting of this sign a couple of decades ago, I realized that the name lettering just didn't work out for me. On signs centuries ago, a common lettering technique was to make letters progressively smaller toward the center. For me, however, the result was unpleasant in appearance - I scrapped the project.
Fast forward to January of this year: I ran across this unfinished art while making changes in the studio. James Gurney, the artist behind Dinotopia, has invented his "Gallery Flambeau" (small mirrors set in a parabolic configuration - see above) to turn failed efforts into ash, thereby improving his "artistic average". With a primitive southern version of the flambeau (our fire pit), I've done the same.
.
Brownbird - art is such a comfort on a cool evening =:o) - March 22nd

No comments: